Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Its time for pongal again!!

Wishing you all a happy pongal/sankranthi. This was the first time I was celebrating Pongal all by myself. As always, the net came to my rescue for the recipes. And they did come out pretty well.

The alarm went off at 7 AM. I kept snoozing it and finally got up with a start at about 8.15. I rushed to have a quick bath. I had to make the pongal before 9 and I'm pretty slow, so it would was going to be a mad run! I decorated the cooker (its actually supposed to be a "pongal paanai" but i dont have any ;)) with the coconut, turmeric pieces, banana and sugarcane. The milk started boiling. Meanwhile I couldn't wait. So I thought "Why not do a kolam on this auspicious occasion". So I went armed with the rice powder. And this was the net effect of the exercise!!















By this time the milk had boiled, I put the rice-dhal mixture that I had washed and kept aside in the milk. After this would boil well, I would add jaggery and spices and "Sakkarai Pongal" would be ready.

While the sweet pongal was getting ready, I started the preparation for the "Venn Pongal", coconut chutney and sambar. I selected the best looking recipe among all the ones from internet and went ahead with the preparation. It took about an hour and a half to get done with everything. However, finally the dish looked awesome and so tempting!! Want to have a look? Here it goes!!

Happy with my creations, I went on to have a happy breakfast. By this time, Mukund joined me from his deep slumber. I was cent percent sure that my pongal was really good, as Mukund (who usually hates the sight of rice!) took two-three servings of the pongal :D
See you all then. Time for me to go for my dinner!

5 comments:

Anand said...

:) nice.. kolam super.. got to ask mukund about the pongal though :P

SV said...

Hi ....
Nice blog.
Simple, unassuming style.

Unknown said...


Hi, This kolam helped me during this pongal. It was my 'Thala Pongal" and i have to put a wonderful at the same time a small kolam. I searched in google and draw urs in front of my house. My mother in law also apprecited me. thank you. It came great.Sorry for my very late comment. BYE

krishna S said...

Truly an interesting blog on Indian tradition. the subject matter it excellent and the presentation is awesome. truly this blog is an asset

Rush said...

I likeyyyyyyyyyy! The food looks awesome da!